Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, this highly visible management position will envision and develop a robust development and fundraising strategy; integrate and direct the Annual appeals and campaigns; identify and target philanthropic prospects that include foundations, corporations, and individuals interested in supporting MKLM; nurture and cultivate all levels of philanthropic relationships; develop and mobilize resources for comprehensive planned-giving and grant-funding programs; provide supervision and leadership for the Advancement team and oversee and integrate US Church Relations outreach.
The ideal candidate brings innovation, creativity, and vision for cultivating highly successful programs that elevate MKLM's presence in and beyond the philanthropic world and contributing to a dynamic future for the organization. The Advancement Manager will work in a collaborative environment with a dedicated, mission-oriented staff to develop, execute and achieve ambitious fundraising goals. S/he will be an imaginative, motivated, development professional with a passion for international mission and the Maryknoll charism, serving with the highest integrity, modeling stewardship, and possessing sound judgment.
Essential Job Criteria
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field or equivalent experience
Experience: 4+ years relevant professional development/fundraising experience, and experience in leading and managing high performing professional teams in complex organizations/situations
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and soliciting major gifts (five and six figure level.)
- Articulate leader with ability to create and implement innovative strategies to educate, motivate, inform and inspire donors and others to meet the organization's funding needs.
- Experience in developing, executing, and managing donor prospect strategies.
- Experience and ability in communicating organizational mission, vision, values and compelling cases to multiple audiences and through formal proposals, correspondence and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and department.
- Knowledge of Catholic fundraising and culture.
- Hands-on familiarity with direct mail, grants management, planned giving, special events, computerized constituent-management systems and marketing/communications.
- Strong work ethic and positive "can do" attitude.
- Exceptional collaborator and creative problem solver.
- Exceptional communication skills and writing competency.
- Technical skills and computer literacy, including fundraising database systems.
- Facilitate the strategic design, organization and implementation of both short and long-term development and fundraising plans.
- Work with management to develop funding priorities, outline programs and achieve consensus on appropriate funding initiatives and communications.
- Create systems and effective processes to bridge operations across MKLM departments and ensure coordination among the unique roles within the Mission Advancement department.
- Develop and manage the department annual budget and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Supervise all Mission Advancement personnel assuring coverage of all functions. Develop and maintain a cross training program for all necessary functions.
- Develop and mobilize resources for a comprehensive strategy for development and philanthropic engagement.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of fund development including annual appeals, major and planned giving, campaign efforts, and the administration and reporting of department activities.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of a gift contact management plan that will primarily focus on major qualified prospects.
- Effectively promote fundraising strategies to internal and external constituencies.
- Seeks understanding of the complexities of the funding environment for mission and social justice.
- Conduct research to develop prospects for funding, as well as strategies to pursue diverse and sustainable revenue streams for the future.
- Provide timely progress reports to leadership and key constituencies; ensure timely submission of high-quality narrative and financial reports in compliance with organization and donor requirements.
Major Gift Management
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, work strategically and creatively to broaden and expand the base of major donors.
- Develop annual plan to increase donor giving and identify and solicit new donors to meet budgeted goals.
- Coordinate and execute strategic cultivation events.
- Travel as needed within the United States for major donor visits and gift solicitation.
Cultivate and solicit major gift prospects and donors, inclusive of:
- donor visits
- making introductory calls to potential prospects
- meeting coordination
- develop customized proposals and follow-up correspondence to formally request and “close” gifts.
- Ensure proper stewardship and recognition of major gifts.
- Involve missioners and returned missioners in an effective major gift solicitation process.
- Research and identify prospective U.S. and international foundations, funding agencies and corporations as potential sources of financial support for mission program and support service needs as defined by Advancement goals and initiatives.
- Engage Area leadership, and missioners, in identifying internationally based funding agencies and corporations that operate in countries of mission placement as potential sources of funding for our organization projects and ministries.
- Write and prepare necessary funding applications, including required support documents of organizational information, financial reports and audits, and letters of endorsement.
- Oversee all aspects of pre- and post- grant application processes: necessary deadline filing requirements, grant expense reports and ministry outcome assessments.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Area leadership, and missioners, to ensure coordination of all grant application filings that involve the organization’s legal name and 501 c 3 status.
- Maintain personal contact with recognized staff within foundations, funding agencies and corporations in order to build viable and long-term sources for ministry and project funding.
- Establish office procedures for tracking pending funding application deadlines and grant reporting requirements.
- Work closely with all MKLM departments to ensure organizational alignment with donor engagement and prospect management strategies.
- Work with Church Relations staff to oversee current and returned missioners in promoting the organization's mission education and fundraising goals.
- Partner with Communications Director to create direction; and help determine the most effective delivery mechanism (print, email, video, social media, event face-to-face) to leverage content and broaden organizational reach.
SEND RESUME TO MARY EDGAR HR MANAGER: [email protected]