ABOUT VOLUNTEER NEW YORK!
Volunteer New York! is a one-stop resource devoted to increasing volunteerism in Westchester and our surrounding communities. Our core mission is to inspire, mobilize, and equip individuals and groups to take positive action to address pressing challenges, support nonprofits and strengthen the quality of life in our community. We believe in volunteerism and community.
For 70 years, Volunteer New York! has evolved to meet the changing needs in our community, creating initiatives in collaboration with the business community, expanding services to engage volunteers of all ages, and expanding its online outreach to make it even easier for people to get connected. Through organized volunteer projects, as well as by connecting individuals to nonprofit organizations, Volunteer New York! helps people take action to strengthen the quality of life in their community.
During the past year alone, Volunteer New York! inspired over 35,000 volunteers in Westchester, Putnam and Rockland counties who contributed over 362,000 hours of service valued in excess of $11.7 million. Volunteer New York! prides itself on a culture of excellence and was recently recognized, for an 9th year in a row, as a Top Rated Nonprofit.
Reporting to the Executive Director, who understands and participates in fundraising, the Development Director plays the lead role internally and externally in ensuring that Volunteer New York! maintains and grows diverse funding streams so that we can continue to build strong, resilient, and welcoming communities through volunteer action and impact. The Development Director is responsible for securing approximately 50% of the organization’s $1.4 million budget. The Development Director must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills and experience coordinating large-scale events. They will work closely with Volunteer New York! senior leadership to create strategies, realize new philanthropic and business relationships, and be an engaging steward for Volunteer New York!’s mission. The position will also oversee a part-time Development Associate to support these efforts.
- Manage all aspects of the Volunteer Spirit Awards, the region’s largest annual volunteer recognition event (660+ guests), including overseeing the event’s Steering and Benefit Committees.
- Lead the organization’s nationally recognized Giving Tuesday #bridgetogive campaign.
- Develop and implement a multi-year development plan in partnership with senior leadership in alignment with Volunteer New York!’s overall strategic plan.
- Explore new sources of revenue, including days of service sponsorships, major gifts and the development of special campaigns to engage both new and existing relationships to expand Volunteer New York!’s donor base.
- Maintain strong relationships with board members, including regularly attending board meetings, and continue to involve them in identifying, establishing, and advancing relationships with ongoing and prospective partners.
- Assist in the identification of prospective new board and committee members.
- Solicit contributions from individuals and seek opportunities for major gifts.
- Establish processes and monitor metrics to effectively track fundraising goals and engagement efforts.
- Ensure all gifts are acknowledged and donor/event attendee information is captured in Salesforce database for future outreach and performance analysis.
- Partner with Communications Director to develop, plan and execute event communications/invitations and donor appeals, including the year end annual appeal, and ensure accurate and timely public recognition of supporters on Volunteer New York!’s website and related materials.
- Monitor grant opportunities (foundations, corporations, and government entities) to recommend applications to contractual grant writer where appropriate and develop relationships with existing grant makers to increase current funding.
- Partner with Senior Director of Programs to ensure timely reporting for all grants.
- Collaborate with Executive Director to cultivate Leadership Westchester program alumni, including management of the annual graduation ceremony and alumni directory update.
- Develop and execute additional special milestone events based as outlined in the development plan.
- Assist, as necessary, with organization-wide initiatives such as community wide days of service (MLK and 9/11).
- Authentic interest in the mission of Volunteer New York! and a genuine passion for philanthropy.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in fundraising, partnership development and event management with success in identifying and soliciting 5- and 6- figure commitments from corporations, foundations, and high net worth individuals.
- Ability to think strategically to create viable fundraising plans with ambitious, but achievable goals and carry out the tasks necessary to achieve those goals.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability to articulate compelling cases for support.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, collaborative environment to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Mastery of donor software and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Outlook. CRM experience required, Salesforce a plus.
- A collegial, collaborative, and communicative managerial style and sense of humor.
- Demonstrated success in establishing strong relationships that motivate board and staff to advance fundraising goals.
- Bachelor's Degree required; relevant advanced degree work preferred.
Schedule: Full-time; Volunteer New York! office hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 am-4:30 pm with availability for extended hours for events and days of service as needed.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is $80,000-$85,000; Benefits include medical, dental, generous Paid Time Off, and 401k plan.
Supervisor: Executive Director
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Jeanette Gisbert, Executive Director, at [email protected] with “Development Director” in the subject line.
Volunteer New York! is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.